The current St Andrew's Church building has just celebrated 125 years as a palce of worship in Moffat. However, the history of St Andrew's Parish can be traced over 700 years prior to the current church building.
The first recorded Parish Church, in what was known as the Auldton of Moffat, was already built by 1177, when it is recorded as being transferred to the Bishop of Glasgow.
In the 1600s it was used as a prison for Covenanters en route to their execution.
In 1790 the current location was given by the Earl of Hopetoun for the building of a new church. This was built, with seats for 1000 people. The church was topped off with a spire, which carried the Earl of Hopetoun's crest of a flying spur. As a result the church became known to townsfolk as the "Flying Spur Kirk". However, within 100 years, the "Flying Spur Kirk" was being replaced by a new parish church on a site immediately to its south.